If you are looking for a warm and delicious morning breakfast treat to have on a cold day, you've got to try the Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake I found from Alexandra's Kitchen. This cake is so moist and comforting, with just a hint of lemon mixed in with the luscious bites of berry. And it's so easy to make, your family will love it!
To make the Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake, straight from Alexandra's Kitchen,
you need the following ingredients:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
- 7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk***
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top
*** "To make homemade buttermilk, place 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill cup with milk until it reaches the 1-cup line. Let stand for five minutes. Use only 1/2 cup of the prepared mixture for the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour
- Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar- I use my 9"x11" casserole pan) with butter or coat with non-stick spray.
- Spread batter into pan.
- Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Or until done.
- Test with toothpick or butter knife, in center to see that it is thoroughly cooked through.
- Let Cool for a few.
This cake was fun to make, and came out amazingly moist. You can taste the rich golden Buttermilk and the crystallized sugar on the top. With the slight lemon, and mouth full of blueberries, this cake makes a really special breakfast treat. I've made it several times and my whole family has loved it every time. I've even made it using Lemon extract instead of Lemon zest, and it came out richer in lemon flavor, but still just as good. This will be a recipe I will make year after year. :)